Votes: 5 3.9%
  • 180G

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Bigger than 180g (please mention)

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Other (please mention)

Votes: 13 10.1%

• Total voters
You know what's funny is you always hear people on the boards say "You can't give away a 75 gal here!" But the majority of the people here have them...

I WISH! I've been drooling over a 72 bow lately. But just found out yesterday that a floor's max weight should be 85# per sq. ft., so I'm outta luck unless I can get some 4x4's to shore it up in the basement.....

jackie said:
But just found out yesterday that a floor's max weight should be 85# per sq. ft.
Jackie, who told you this? That is so false. That would mean if you had a 300lb guest they would go through your floor.

Think about a couch for instance...Say you put four adults on it at an average of 175lbs each. Thats 700lbs plus the 50lbs of the couch, so around 750lbs total. That 750 lbs is distributed six 3"x3" legs. That means there is 125lbs on each leg (and that is in just 1/4 of a square foot)

Go get the 72 bow :D

Last edited:
LOL, for some reason the movie "What Ever Happened to Gilbert Grape" came to mind.....heaven forbid I should ever weigh 300+lbs:D

Ummmm, some guy who's been building houses for 30+ years....I misunderstood?? What you said does make sense....OK, 72 bow here I come!

With a fish tank it depends on which way the floor joist are running, just saw the post and it reminded I was supposed to go to Jackies a couple months ago to take a look. Sorry Jackie... Tanks are normaly 24"or less, wide. If placed against a wall. Let's say in the center of a wall that is running in the same direction as the joist, you will probably get a sag in the floor after time...you've got all the weight on just a couple, possibly only 1 floor joist. If placed against a wall running the opposite of your floor joist you don't have to worry at all...

jackie said:
Ummmm, some guy who's been building houses for 30+ years....I misunderstood??
You probably didn't misunderstand him, he was probably just wrong. Darren would probably agree with this statement since he is a builder as well...Just because he builds houses doesn't necessarily mean he understands the physics of load capacities. Thats what architects are for.

smcnally said:
Just because he builds houses doesn't necessarily mean he understands the physics of load capacities. Thats what architects are for.

Don't even get me started there!!! Most architects haven't got a clue!! They should be required to work in the field, outside actualy building, before allowed to design. I built a church in Bedford NH, The architects design showed a huge point load over an area with absolutly nothing there to support it...3/4 of the front roof was floating in air...like Gandalf could cast a levitation spell or something. I had them come out and explain to me what I should do. He said he'd have an answer the next day...2 days later he came back with a cardboard scale model. Elmers glue and carboard work wonders for scale models but didn't help me out much. :rolleyes:

One Eye said:
With a fish tank it depends on which way the floor joist are running, just saw the post and it reminded I was supposed to go to Jackies a couple months ago to take a look. Sorry Jackie... Tanks are normaly 24"or less, wide. If placed against a wall. Let's say in the center of a wall that is running in the same direction as the joist, you will probably get a sag in the floor after time...you've got all the weight on just a couple, possibly only 1 floor joist. If placed against a wall running the opposite of your floor joist you don't have to worry at all...

Darren no problem at all and no rush. I still need to rethink how I'm going to upgrade the water situation (auto topoff/RO/DI hookup in basement, etc.) and I'm only partially there. BTW, the joists are running opposite and the tank is against an inside bearing wall.

One Eye said:
Elmers glue and carboard work wonders for scale models but didn't help me out much. :rolleyes:
LMAO...I hear ya. There are idiots on all sides. All I'm saying is that just because a person has been builing houses for 30 years doesn't necessarily mean they know the physics behind it. Another thing to think about when you're worried about weight dispersion in a house is the old cast iron clawfoot tubs. Those probably hold a good 80 gallons of water plus a full grown adult. All that weight on those 4 little claw feet. Now, I have seen those almost go through floors over time, but that is a crap load of pressure compared to a tank on a stand.

So far 75G is leading the chart. Actually it's a good size reef tank. That's what i started with.

smcnally said:
You know what's funny is you always hear people on the boards say "You can't give away a 75 gal here!" But the majority of the people here have them...

That's why you can't give a 75g away, everyone already has one. ;)

The results are very interesting. There is almost a perfectly normal distribution centered around 75gal or so. The only exceptions to this are that: 1) there are fewer than expected 72bow tanks based on a normal distribution, and that might be due to the unique shape and extra cleaning effort, and 2) there is an increase again as you get into the smaller tank range. I like my 90, but especially with the canopy skirt, it gets difficult to reach in to the bottom,

Matt:cool:

Matt L. said:
There is almost a perfectly normal distribution centered around 75gal or so.

Hmmm, my 75g suddenly feels so... average :D

Good catch on the bell curve there, Matt, it is interesting.

Nuno

nunofs said:
Hmmm, my 75g suddenly feels so... average :D

Good catch on the bell curve there, Matt, it is interesting.

Nuno
Heh, that's what they pay me to do (not here -- at The University)

I actually plotted it out in Excel, and it makes a very interesting distribution.

Matt:cool:

Back