whats going on corals dying??

ffsteve

The tool man
what the heck they were fine two days ago. all cemicals are fine. help!!
alk 11.48
mag 1420
cal 440
IMG_0487.JPGIMG_0488.JPGIMG_0489.JPG

but the zoes are fine, candycanes fine, palys fine?? i don't get it!!

I don't see the usual stringy part, but those pics do make me wonder if it's dinos?

two days ago how do you get rid of dino's ??

also there was no algee on any of them and there is still no algee on them. the kenya tree the other day looked wet at the base?

Last edited:
I may be mistaken but in the first picture it looks like bubbles on your coral. I think it is a kenya tree so what ever is on your rocks are on them too. Increased circulation may help.
What is your tank temp? BTW.

after close inspection your right kingfish there is bubbles on them i didn't notice them with the lights on but with the blue led moon lights on the bubbles pop right out at ya.
i do use ro/di water and i make it. filters are fairly new last three months. very little discoloring.

so how do i get rid of this problem?
and will the corals recover?

Looks like classic dinos choking your corals. Dinos aren't just on the surface, they'll also in the water column. In my experience, they slowly kill everything. Any idea what you PH is? If dinos, the new silicates in the water change is believed to feed the dinos. One thing I noticed when I went through the horrible dino battle was that the water, itself, had kind of a rotten smell to it. If that's what you're dealing with, search on this site and on RC for how to manage them.

Looks like classic dinos choking your corals. Dinos aren't just on the surface, they'll also in the water column. In my experience, they slowly kill everything. Any idea what you PH is? If dinos, the new silicates in the water change is believed to feed the dinos. One thing I noticed when I went through the horrible dino battle was that the water, itself, had kind of a rotten smell to it. If that's what you're dealing with, search on this site and on RC for how to manage them.

That's interesting, I have never heard that silicate might fuel dinos, but I have observed and heard others report seeing that water changes can fuel dinos. I have also observed that when my DI cartridge starts getting old I often see a diatom bloom which IIRC is known to be associated with silicate levels.

Whatever the case, it can be difficult to ID dinos accurately unless you can find someone that knows what they are looking at under a microscope. The other way to know is by what it ends up taking to end the problem.

Personally I have fought off dinos by maintaining a slightly elevated PH via kalk on a continous slow drip.
Others have had luck with total light black outs, and the newest thing is a peroxide treatment of some sort but I'll leave that for someone else to clarify (since it scares me to the point that I haven't even read up on it).

did u dose recently, it is hard to get alk that high and leave it there consistently.................

I would say water changes and more flow......................

Back