Whats going on with my Anemone?

ReeferMedic said:
My thoughts also. Was it white when you bought it? How long have you had it? Sabaes have a low survivability rate in most systems. Especially when they are already bleached when purchased. The brown ones you see occasionally are actually the healthier ones. Good luck with yours.

Sebaes are actually REALLY easy (atleast from my experience)...its just tough getting one that the wholesalers havent bleached out so that it looks prettier

Apistoborelli, that thing is going to need to be fed whne it comes around, and for a while till it browns up. Mine (about 18-20" across, seems to really like mysis)

Maybe I can help here . Sebaes on a whole are not in good health when you buy them and they struggle at first . Attached are two pictures of my sebae , the first one is when I bought it , all white with purple tips looks pretty but in reality is very sick and on its way out .:( These colors is what attracts people to buy them in the first place . That is why some LFS's sell bleached ones STAY AWAY from these . The second and third picture is the same sebae now fully recoverd and thriving tan with purple tips . :D They are not as hardy as BTA's but with proper care can take over a tank .:eek:

Attachments

• Sebe Anemone.JPG
    Sebe Anemone.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Seabae Anemone 1.JPG
    Seabae Anemone 1.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Seabae Anemone 2.JPG
    Seabae Anemone 2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 144
jimmyj7090 said:
if it starts disentegrating pull it out quick
I'd like to add that you should hold your breath while doing so:D
One of my green BTA's just died on me. It was tiny and under all the others not getting enough light. When I pulled it out, as soon as it hit the air, I dry heaved. It is a smell that I can't even describe.

Hey Nemo415, congradulations on bringing one back from the edge like that. Really nice to see one make it.

Thanks Cindy ! Rich yours is looking great also . Apistoborelli What kind of lighting do you have from your link it looks like PC lighting ? I hope you are running MH's if not your Sebae will die for sure . BTA's will survive under pc's but a sebae needs strong lighting . ( ie Metal Halides ) John

The halide is coming after the new setup next week. I know I jumped the gun on this purchase. I'm hoping my noob mistake won't kill this guy. The lights are Coralife 2x96W PC on a 30gal. I just got home to the anemone lying on the sand.:( It's still attached to the rock. I am pretty sure it's crapping out though.

I have a 58gal. I'm setting up as soon as the stand is finished (before next weekend) and I'm hoping I can nurse it till then. What should I do?

Dont worry about halides. Mine came from a tank (75g) that was being run with 4x96w PCs, and had gone from 5" to 12" in the 9 months the guy had it. They really dont need a ton of light.

Right now yours needs some shade, and when its ready, it needs to be fed. Light is just going to hurt it, as it has very little xooxanthelle.

OK, so I just got home and of course, disaster. My lights never came on today. But the cooling fan for the tank did. I walk in and the tank is about an inch and a half low and hovering just above 70 degrees. The anemone has let go and was rolling around in the tank. It looks like it's wide open (see attached pic). I'm working on bringing the temp up now and just finished topping off the tank. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 100_1793.JPG
    100_1793.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 179
It looks pretty much done. I don't know if I would keep it in the tank much longer. They decompose pretty quickly once they start.

Can you set up a small rehab tank, bucket? It may be some sort of infection. I would give it a fresh water bath with water the same temperature either way. Sorry he is giving you so much trouble.
If you do not have a tank get him in something with NEW fresh water of the same temperature. Take a look and see how he reacts to the new water. You will have to find a way to keep the temp up and will need to drop an air stone in there for water movement. Whatever you put in the tank (rock, sand) needs to be dipped or rinsed in fresh salt water before introducing it to the new tank or whatever you decide to put him in. You want to make the new tank (bucket etc...) as fresh as possible.
I have done this a few of times, twice it worked the other not so good!

I might actually leave it be for a day or two, and let it hide under the rock. My Sebae wondered around at first, doing some strange stuff, (hid under a rock ledge for 2 days) but all the while he was getting better and changing from the whitish color to the brown/burgundy he is now. Just need to keep an eye out that he doesn't run into anyhting that can hurt him. Also, I also don't think MH is necessary, as I am using T5s on a 24" deep tank and my Sebae is doing great.

Chip

Reef Wellington said:
Can you set up a small rehab tank, bucket? It may be some sort of infection. I would give it a fresh water bath with water the same temperature either way. ...
A FW bath for an anemone? I've never heard of this. I would think it would kill them almost instantly :confused: (still laughing at your screen name :D Always makes me hungry)

Yea, I wouldn't want to FW dip an anemone, but if you do suspect a bacterial infection a SW + lugols dip could be a last ditch measure (Don't quote me on this, but I have found it helpful with leathers fighting bacterial infection, repeat "last ditch")

Overall it doesn't look/sound good, but you never know. My RBTA looked shriveled and bounced around the tank like a tumbleweed for days, I thought it was doomed. Then it settled in and latched onto a rock, a few years later and I have around 10 of them but I've lost count.

look for it looking white/slimy, turning to goo, or otherwise disentegrating. If your not sure, give it a light blast with a turkey baster, if anything blows off or falls apart - it's a gooner. If it's still detached, try scooping it up in a small cup, lift it out of the water for just a second and smell. If you throw up, you know it's a gooner. Otherwise maybe it will get better?

I pulled it yesterday.:( Jimmy, missed you at the meeting. Can we get together in the next couple of weeks for the lighting?

I'm sorry :(

I have one (VERY healthy)that I might be letting go if my husband consents. I'll let you know - if you're interested.

Back