Whats going on with New England Reefers?

I couldn't complained about someones price if I don't like it I move on. I couldn't come up with the gumption to say if I can have it for a cheaper price. The way I see if it's something you really want or it's a "must have" pay the price. If it's something over priced and no one buy's the seller will get the picture and maybe drop the price. But those OPEN BOX DEALS are the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't walk into best buy and haggle over a HD TV

Just so you when you buy a TV the salespeople do have leeway on the price of the TV. Only reason I know is because I was told by a kid at Cambridge soundworks that dropped the price of a TV I was looking at $500 so I would buy it. He told me it was his last day and he just didnt care and then told me you can haggle on most big ticket items.

Not that this has to do with anything but if anyone is looking to buy a new TV maybe this will save you a few bucks :)

Just so you when you buy a TV the salespeople do have leeway on the price of the TV. Only reason I know is because I was told by a kid at Cambridge soundworks that dropped the price of a TV I was looking at $500 so I would buy it. He told me it was his last day and he just didnt care and then told me you can haggle on most big ticket items.

Not that this has to do with anything but if anyone is looking to buy a new TV maybe this will save you a few bucks :)

I saved $400 on my first HDTV at CSW back in '03 by haggling. Too bad the majority of their retail stores are closed.

I agree with most but not all, I see nothing wrong with a buyer expressing a positive experience for someone selling a bunch of stuff and bumping the thread. When I see this I am less hesitant to to consider it. The other hand I know when I see someone's thread that is -only- bumped by the guy selling it and only by the seller makes me not want to try buying anything from them. I do think promoting someones stuff on stuff they havent bought and only bought from previously is wrong and is clutter. But a guy who is selling his tank and has a bunch of stuff and people saying, great deal and thanks for the X should be permitted. If you disagree, then the bods should consider locking every thread once the first post is made and be done with it until the seller pm's the mods and they either post its sold or no longer available.

Im all for haggleing, but it should be done in private. no one should ever comment on someones asking price in their buy and sell thread.its just common courtisy.

I agree with you Nitrofish... Nothing wrong with asking... Unless the seller says "Firm" That to mean indicates they are not willing to negotiate. Personally, I feel that IF you are going to haggle, it should be upfront and in private.

Scott

But a guy who is selling his tank and has a bunch of stuff and people saying, great deal and thanks for the X should be permitted.
Agreed. We don't remove posts from a satisfied buyer saying "Got the stuff home yesterday, and it looks great! Thanks for the deal. Nice meeting you." etc.

What I'm talking about is the comments that are NOT related to the particular items for sale in that thread.

I thought it was polite to thank the seller after getting a frag and letting that person know it was doing alright. So we should not do that on a sale thread?

Its really been bugging me lately, the amount of people that are commenting on fellow reefer's(not LFS) asking price of items. If the person doesnt say "OBO" then dont comment, dont invoke your opinion, dont low ball, just keep your mouth closed. ITS NOT YOUR PLACE to complain. It just makes yourself look petty, ignorant, and cheap.

Flame me all you want but Im sick and tired of holding my tongue.

I completely agree. Not only is it against the rules but it is extremely rude. When you have something for sale, would you like for someone to go into your thread and post negative comments? I don't think so.

I haggle everywhere with everyone! Best Buy, Comp USA -- you name it, I ask. Seller Beware! Must be the Lebanese blood .... But alway in private.

be advised...next person that tries to haggle with my in relation to a posted item I am selling will end up with a cyber beat down ;)

Steve -- don't take it personally. Some of us just can't help ourselves. What's the harm in asking? All you have to say is no.

Steve -- don't take it personally. Some of us just can't help ourselves. What's the harm in asking? All you have to say is no.

No harm, it is ok sometimes. Sometimes being if you are going to buy all a persons frags, or they state "BRO."

I have never once tried to talk somebody down in this club over single or a couple frags because they are already at discounted prices.

People on BRS are not charging retail for corals. Everybody that is in the hobby knows the cost involved in keeping corals healthy. Not only that, a lot of people even go beyond that and are pretty genorous. I have purchased small colonies off a few people here for between $40-$60 that would have been hundreds retail....

For me, it is just common courtesy.

Actually, I try to give people money who give me stuff at n/c! I have never haggled with anyone I buy frags from on any forum. Just understand with some folks it's just in their blood to do so! Just smile and repeat your price. We all have a mysterious and very personal relationship with money.

Not to kick the hornet's nest or anything... ;)

What is the distinction between haggling on a stated price and saying "I want the pump if you part out" when the original thread is for a complete setup that states such clearly?

To me they are both the same. Equally rude, equally disruptive, and equally deserving of deletion.

It sounds like any questions about flexibility in price or content of the sale are considered rude. So just PM the person and ask ... is that rude too or okay? The rudeness rules here are going to be tough to remember .... Pretty soon people won't want to ask people selling stuff any questions.

Back