Whats going on with New England Reefers?

I was at a members house with another member on a coral buy when we were asked to post on what a great purchase it was.

Jim

Agreed. We don't remove posts from a satisfied buyer saying "Got the stuff home yesterday, and it looks great! Thanks for the deal. Nice meeting you." etc.

What I'm talking about is the comments that are NOT related to the particular items for sale in that thread.

Glad we agree, I think alot of sellers undercut pricing to gain such promotion to further their current or future sales. If your happy, you should say so. I hate when a see a post from the seller who posts, glad to meet you Johnie and thanks for the purchase when Johnie isnt the one who posted anything, to me Johnie wasnt that much satisfied with either value, quality, or price.

I think haggling is fine as long as its in a private message, One can alway say no....But if you have to have it, pay the asking price. I sometimes see things that I dont "need" still posted for a week or so and then I'll pm he/her with an offer to see if they want to move the item or not and make the deal.

I'm sure its been said but how many have paid the sticker price for a car or a house? I'm sure everyone of us has used this tactic and is guilty to some degree.

I agree as well. I've PMed people on sales of items (not so much corals) but other items. Sometimes it's just a matter of the price is "ok" to me and I PM them with a "If you consider lowering it, I'd be interested in it for xxx". I've received these kind of private PMs myself and ok with it. It's hard to price things sometimes so it's good to receive these messages. A classic example of this is a few months ago I was selling an item that was apparently on sale somewhere, so a couple of people PMed me letting me know; so I lowered the price to something more reasonable. They didn't post in the forum "Hey... I can get this $20 more NEW from xxxxxx...." Haggling/bashing in public is a bit rude, I wouldn't want it done to me and I wouldn't intentially want to do that to anyone else.

As for the comments... I can go either way. I admit I've left comments on selling threads in the past (never for friends) but an in general "I've gotten a frag of this last week, color is xxxxxx and growth has been xxxxx, etc", "I have one of these items and it's great.", or "I just saw xxxxx in person and..." I won't leave negative comments, but positive if I think it deserves it. I figured sometimes it may be handy for people to get an additional perspective from a current owner or first hand viewer. However now that I know it's against the rules, I'll discontinue.

-Mike

Oh man this is touching a sore spot.This thread will save me some typing.
http://bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50973
This is not an isolated incident for me.Just never said anything b4.

If you (the buyer) knows it is a really good/great deal....and most do.... or they would not be checking it out or showing interest in it.Than don't be rude and/or insulting by asking for it cheaper than the already BARGAIN BASMENT POSTED PRICE....people put a lot of thought into pricing (I know I do). If it's too much money for you than don't ask or say anything and move on.

I like to help others out as they have helped me over the yrs. Example:I sold some zoos for $15 recently and the fellow reefer was haappy...because he had seen the same thing at a sponsers store for $60.Now to me.. I'm $15 ahead not $45 behind.

but positive if I think it deserves it. I figured sometimes it may be handy for people to get an additional perspective from a current owner or first hand viewer. However now that I know it's against the rules, I'll discontinue.

-Mike

Mike, its not against the rules. leave a positive if you so desire. Thats the problem with these types of threads, they get to easily misinteprated. So many rules, so many perspectives........hard to follow sometimes. easy rule, positives are good, negatives are bad IF they directly relate to the thread. - or - at least I think :D

Actually, I don't think it matters if it's a positive or negative comment. What matters is whether it's related to the sale. If you just bought some of what's being offered you can post. If you haven't been involved in the sale of this item, and don't intend to be involved in this sale, then you probably shouldn't post.

Nate

One thing I noticed is that all the "rude" posters are new members. It will take some time for people to get used to BRS so why not take a break and keep hands out of ones mouth.

One thing I noticed is that all the "rude" posters are new members. It will take some time for people to get used to BRS so why not take a break and keep hands out of ones mouth.

Not true , there are some pretty rude things post by senior members lately

Whenever I sell something on craigslist lets say for $400 bucks and I don't specify "OBO" and someone emails me an offer like "I will offer you $150" I just reply "I counter offer $400". I don't mind haggling in private but that's where I think it should be done.

I agree with the statements that one can just say no.Most of the items I have seen or been interested in that are for sale on this site usually are VERY reasonably priced.

Whenever I sell something on craigslist lets say for $400 bucks and I don't specify "OBO" and someone emails me an offer like "I will offer you $150" I just reply "I counter offer $400". I don't mind haggling in private but that's where I think it should be done.

I agree with the statements that one can just say no.Most of the items I have seen or been interested in that are for sale on this site usually are VERY reasonably priced.

I do the same lol - we had a yard sale recently and a lady asked how much for the box of dishes, I said $5. She spent 10 minutes going through the box and took out three of the 12-15 pieces there and asked well how much for these, I said $5, she said, I dont want them all, I said neither do I - she left. I sold the dishes for $5 to someone else during the day. Peopl crack me up:D

always get screwed on the technicality. make sure you read those rules.....

Yep, them rules will get ya !!! ;)

I don't think we will be cracking any skulls over this one :rolleyes: :D, in fact, in most cases an "accidental" violation of policy never amounts to more than a freindly reminder, perhaps a warning, or at most an infraction depending on the severity of the violation. I too am guilty of posting in other's "for sale" threads a bit off topic :eek:, sometimes I forget or I am just not thinking, but, we should try and avoid this as it is against that forum's posting rules. Negative commentary will obviously attract more attention and is more likely to be reported and recieve moderation as it is not only clearly against forum policy, but in poor taste IMO.

I do the same lol - we had a yard sale recently and a lady asked how much for the box of dishes, I said $5. She spent 10 minutes going through the box and took out three of the 12-15 pieces there and asked well how much for these, I said $5, she said, I dont want them all, I said neither do I - she left. I sold the dishes for $5 to someone else during the day. Peopl crack me up:D

That's pretty funny Ed, I can picture her storming off all frazzled. :D

As long as money is involved, there will always be issues like this. Most of us clearly remember friendships, family relations among other relationships that end over money. It is this one thing that makes this issue, not a very easy issue to address.

Some think of it just business, some think its personal.

Jim Tansey said:
I was at a members house with another member on a coral buy when we were asked to post on what a great purchase it was.

Jim
I believe what Jim Tansey was referring to was the "Ebay" push. It is forced feedback. Big problem on Ebay where intimidation is used to force good feedback in fear, due to a threat of receiving a bad Feedback.

Feed back system can be abused easily just like what is going on on eBay.

Worse yet, a feedback sysem will make bad memories stick around longer.

Back