whats going on corals dying??

what is your ph at? Is your rodi water 0tds? Age and spectrum of lighting/bulbs? I would scrub the rocks and anything else you can reach with a tooth brush and do a 30% water change. Lights out for a 3-5 days with hyrogen peroxide treatment?

Your entire aquarium looks covered in that brown crap. You need to get rid of that ASAP. it looks like it has been growing for a while.

all the lights are out. heavy cleaning tomorrow. i use a 1 inch paint brush plus a high pressure water to blast the rocks. lights will be out for 5 days.
h2o2 treatment will start tomorrow too. skimmer will be on overtime too. after cleaning rocks im going to rescape the tank so the rocks will get more flow.
after that ill do a 10% water change. h202 treatment is set at 2ml per 10gallons for two days, then 3ml per gallons for two days. one day off. after day 6 with lights off one more dose @ 3ml per 10 gallons.

What ever you do, it is not going to clear up over night.
What size tank? And what do you have for circulation?

I have tried h2o2 dips for rocks with algae with good luck but have never dosed the tank. I will be interested to see how that works for you.

i have a 75g with a 30g sump. genx 40 and 2 power heads ( forget the names)
but im going to add two more heads

when u do lights out cover the tank in a blanket...........................

if u can scrub some of the rocks outside ur tank

ok uncovered the tank tonight. found lots of dead stuff. it looks like a dust storm came through everything is covered with a light coat of crap. it blows right off.
on my large kenya tree it looks like a layer of skin comming off, it's very light stuff. must be all the dead dino's. all the live stock except my huge sally light foot seem to be fine.
( just can't find her). ph is up a tad to 8.6 and traces of amonia. just one head of my hammer is gone? most of the softies didn't make it. except the shrooms.

Question: tomorrow the light are coming on, should i slowly introduce light or let the all on at once? i have three sets of t5's ?

I did peroxide for a while. It did work with some dinos, but I think it just made other things die, which led me to more problems -- and eventually, more dinos. The only thing that actually killed them for me was raising my mag very high-- and then, it caused a ton of other stuff to die, which led to a complete hair algae outbreak. I ended up sick of the nearly 2 year battle and just took all the corals off, put them in a holding tank, did the same with live rock, and removed all the water and sand from the system. Was a lot of work, but I'm finally back to really enjoying my tank.

I did everything, raised PH-- lights out for up to 4 days, high alk, manual removal through a filter sock, water changes, no water changes for a while, every chemical in the world, etc etc. They always found their way back eventually. Never dealt with anything more frustrating. Hopefully yours is gone.

Back