Parasitic Acro Flatworms Destroying my Tank

I thought that I got lucky when I got rid of all of the colonies (10 new acro colonoes bought this year) that had flatworms or their eggs. I was wrong. I felt really bad tonight when I discovered these worms on a Greg Hiller colony that I have had for 5 years that grew from a 2 inch frag to an magnificent 11 inch colony. I also lost a Larry Jackson colony that was also infested. This colony was previously healthy for the last 5 years and was one of my first colonies again from Greg. These colonies were so tough that the RTN experience I had last year did not even phase them....they were my "rocks"

So it seems that the worms are continuing to ravage my tank. Also, my prostrata is infested with the worms but is not totally gone yet . So far my ORA blue millepora and my pink millepora look awesome with vibrant bright colors.....I will really be derpressed when these beauties sucumb to the worms. I also have some rare $80 to $100 acro frags that are ok so far, but I do not know how long they will continue to do well.

The only remedy so far, is that my Heniocous Butterflies love to eat the worms. My Goldflake angel also likes them. The remedy, not cure, is to strongly siphon water over all of my existing colonies. The worms blow off really easy with a turkey baster, but I think a small pump might be less tedious. The fish go crazy over these worms once in the water column and they are used to the turkey baster since this is how I normally feed them.

I guess I am now expecting the worst....I will not be surprised if I lose every acro colony in my tank. These worms are the worst thing so far in this hobby. No they are not like pests on flowers, rather they kill acros swiftly, with no known chemical to kill them, they lay eggs in heavy clutches and multiply swiftly. If u get them, say good bye to your tank, or at least your acros....I am. I have no reason but to expect the worst. I can't even frag any of my mother colonies.....who would take them and hold them for me knowing my tank is infested with parasitic flatworms? Any volunteers?

My advice is to not trade or buy acros from anyone unless you are sure that they have been propagating acros in a closed system. In other words, the propagator has many old colonies that have been fragged for years, has not introduced any new colonies and who quarantines any new aquisitions on the rare occasion that he does "open" his tank to attack. The only propagator I know of who you can buy acros from safely locally is Greg Hiller. In talking with him last week he mentioned that he rarely introduces any new frags or mother colonies into his "closed" system. This substantiall lowers the risk for the acropora buyer.

I am sorry to anyone who has gotten these worms from me. Believe me, if I had any knowledge that my system was infected, I would never have sold or traded any corals. This is a plague that needs to be addressed if keeping acropora will continue to be a viable hobby. YES it is THAT BAD. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't.

Well, I guess I will ask for any advice although I don't expect any miracle cure...We all would have heard about it by now. I am in complete misery over this....my once gorgeous tank is dying.

Forgot to mention what these worms look like. They are clear to whitish in color and can be much larger than the non-predatory kind that are brownish yellow and commonly refferred to as planaria. The parasitic worm has no v-tail as does the non predatory type. The worm is easily dislodged by squirting an infested coral with a turkey baster. In fact that is how I discovered them tonight! They are really hard to see on the coral colony itself, but the egss are easily seen as brown patches at the base of the v formed by branches and only on bare spots on the coral. A magnifying glass will resolve these brown patches into round brownish eggs.

I feel for you. that stinks.

If it makes you feel any better I lost power for 6 hours today:).

Maybe that person experimenting on the other thread will come up with something...

Hey!

Thanks for your kind words. I hope your power outage
didn't do too much damage. Yes, I definitely hope some
biologist or expert aquarist finds a reef safe kill agent for these things.
I'm ready to go fish only! (Well maybe fish and Anemone only !)

jimmyj7090 said:
I feel for you. that stinks.

If it makes you feel any better I lost power for 6 hours today:).

Maybe that person experimenting on the other thread will come up with something...

"I thought that I got lucky when I got rid of all of the colonies (10 new acro colonoes bought this year) that had flatworms or their eggs. I was wrong. "

How long ago did you get rid of those colonies?

Chuck, I am really sorry about all of this. Is it possible to set up another tank as quickly as you can to transfer them to?

I am so sorry to hear this. That is such devistating news.

You can join me in having a fish only and anemone tank. I think that is the way I am going too. I'll probably keep ricordia or something else colorfull and ground dwelling also, but I am going to sell all of my little colonies of corals. Maybe we'll be the first on the block to start a new fad.

Since I am not going to be keeping acros I might be able to try saving some frags for you once I get some stuff sold.

Does the free swimming phase happen after the egg phase? What if you fragged some large pieces and suspended them from threads in the water column? (someone out there propogates that way) The fraggs wouldn't have eggs because they are a section with only healthy tissue. You could blast them with water a few times over several days to get the existing crawling ones off... As long as they were in a system without the free swimming stage wouldn't that have a chance of working? What about a drug thet kills the flatworm stage in this situation?

Sorry to hear about this Chuck. Good luck.

Chuck wrote: "I can't even frag any of my mother colonies.....who would take them and hold them for me knowing my tank is infested with parasitic flatworms? Any volunteers?"​

Don't worry! :) I am already holding some of the above mentioned corals for you - I got them from you in February as frags. :eek: No worms so far - here's praying...

Chuck,any way you can try to take the cleanest looking frags you can and start a small tank to hold them and monitor.I am sure if you take frags without eggs and dip them to remove the live worms you may have success in starting a new worm free culture of corals

Chuck, this is a big time pia. Use the baster to blow off the adults and catch as many as you can. Remove the colonies with the eggs and scrape the eggs off. Repeat daily. Keep doing it. Eventualy you'll break the life cycle. Kind of like ridding a tank of the monti eating nudis.

Chuck, have you tried adding six-line wrasses ?

In a link that Cindy included as a reply to an earlier post on the flatworms, an aquarist in Europe wrote that they had luck eradicating the worms after adding a number of six-line wrasses to their aquarium. Jeremy also posted the name of another wrasse that has been reported to be an effective predator on the flatworms (search for that post - I think Armando started it).

At this point, if you want to save the colonies in your tank that currently appear unaffected, you are probably going to have to make some difficult choices. I pulled the first coral that I noted the egg masses on, and observed other nearby corals intently. If I noticed any stress (color down or tissue damage at the base), I pulled the entire colony.

I really hope you don't need to cull every acro out of your tank, but that possibility exists. It's something I seriously considered when I had the same problem you're experiencing now.

Mike Accardi said:
Chuck, have you tried adding six-line wrasses ?

In a link that Cindy included as a reply to an earlier post on the flatworms, an aquarist in Europe wrote that they had luck eradicating the worms after adding a number of six-line wrasses to their aquarium. Jeremy also posted the name of another wrasse that has been reported to be an effective predator on the flatworms (search for that post - I think Armando started it).

At this point, if you want to save the colonies in your tank that currently appear unaffected, you are probably going to have to make some difficult choices. I pulled the first coral that I noted the egg masses on, and observed other nearby corals intently. If I noticed any stress (color down or tissue damage at the base), I pulled the entire colony.

I really hope you don't need to cull every acro out of your tank, but that possibility exists. It's something I seriously considered when I had the same problem you're experiencing now.

Sounds like you have overcome this problem Mike what was your success based on.

jAKE said:
"I thought that I got lucky when I got rid of all of the colonies (10 new acro colonoes bought this year) that had flatworms or their eggs. I was wrong. "

How long ago did you get rid of those colonies?

Jake how long ago were you affected?

I still have a purple tipped acro frag that you sold me in Feb, it has no issues whatsoever.

I am wondering if I should be worried or not :(

M.

Sounds like you have overcome this problem Mike what was your success based on.

Luck.

I just think I might have found the problem early on, and through sheer luck, I got a majority out before they could spread too quickly. I know some folks may have trouble believing that, and will probably never trade or buy corals from me, that's fine and I understand it, but I haven't had any losses or any evidence of the flatworms since January.

Worth mentioning, the wrasse I added (possum) was quickly beaten down by the existing fish. It never had a chance to peruse the corals for flatworms in my tank.

mike

Last edited:
Chuck
I feel so bad for you I know how much you love your Acros. I hope somehow, somewhere a cure is found fast. This really bites the big one. Call me if you need to vent or need anything.

This is my worst fear :(. I'm sorry to hear this Chuck.

Maurod, Jake was quoting. He didn't say he had FWs.

FWIW
Skipton's had some six line wrasses in their shipment last week. I bought two little ones on Saturday, for different tanks, and they seem like nice healthy fish.

I was never infected. That was a qoute from Chucks post. Let me state for the record - I have never even seen these things in person. I just was wondering how long Check had gone without seeing these in his tank.

Back