Parasitic Acro Flatworms Destroying my Tank

Yes I was amazed to see how invisible the worms were on a wet coral (stealth mode). Once the flesh started to dry on the coral they seemed to show up as wet spots. Even then it was very difficult to see them or know for sure it wasn?t a wet spot. And yes the reef dip did knock them off but not as fast as fresh water did. I looked and looked at the pink millepora that Chuck is talking about and could not see one FW but when we let it dry we could see some as wet spots. Then when we dipped it into some fresh water WOW the worms were everywhere.

Well, it has been 2 weeks of turkey basting and lately it is difficult to find any flatworms.

Even blowing off each colony, yields at most 1 or 2 flatworms or less daily. I think that this is definitely a great way to get rid if them. However, any of the colonies that had egss on them were removed and scraped or the "stumps" were cut off along with the eggs. Anyway, after getting rid of the eggs, it seems that the "turkey baster "technique is highly effective in an infested tank. I would not use this technique if you have a single coral that is infected. But for a "whole tank" infestation the technique works as longas your fish eat them....and I have plenty of fish that all love these things!

Color is coming back on most corals and bare spots are filling in with polyps!

Back