Parasitic Acro Flatworms: PLEASE HELP !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks

Jeremy, thanks for your kind response. Now that you mention it, Brendon at Skipton's does the same thing. I remember seeing a frag tank that was full of great looking corals but with a sign " Not for sale, Flatworms". Given that you both seem to quarantine and treat your corals, maybe that is why all of the corals I have gotten from both places are doing well, at least in my tank.

Maybe that is the answer, that quarantine and treatment at the LFS is warranted or even mandatory.

Even though I took a lot of punches in this thread and the AA thread, I am glad that the word is out and now, maybe the LFS people will set up better treatment and quarantine systems and adopt similar protocols to Skipton's and CRA.

JeremyR said:
Because I look at the corals every day, I'm paranoid about flatworms, and any coral that gets any recession whatsoever gets a really solid going over by me. Having said that.. it's not impossible that someone won't get a red bug or flatworm from me someday.. I do accept trade ins, and while I do my absolute best to be pest free, you have to understand that these flatworms are extremely difficult to detect when they are small. The user needs to quarantine everything no matter where you purchase it, and have a protocol in place for the eventual consequences of not doing so.

I think this thread has served it's purpose. We are all now aware that flatworms are loose locally, something I've been telling people for awhile now. Further witch-hunting isn't going to help us.. ways of defeating the pests will.

~Flighty~ said:
I would like to see if these flatworms or the eggs show up under the light and filter that I got from the coral floressence meeting. Someone who has them please PM me and I will get the light to you or come check it out myself.

I did this with red bugs and they do not floress. But I have several snails and slug type things in my tank that I only know are there because of this light and filter. It also shows mojano anemones like christmas lights.

It is worth a try to see if these flatworms or eggs show up.
Flighty has the right idea :) i would be very interested to see if that works

Pix

Armando posted some pix of the eggs in a previous post here...just search on flatworms. Also many pix on Reef Central....search on flatworms should get you there.

jmkeary said:
anyone have a scientific id or picture of these flatworms?

From Reef Central:

pic1.jpg

pic3.JPG

124_2407.JPG

another way that someone might try is do flat worm egg shells
Fluoresce? if so then it might be easy to spot them at night with the proper light and filter...its worth a try right?

sorry cindy you beat me too this though...not trying to copy your idea, just didn't see your post!

Good idea though!

Last edited:
Does anyone understand why these creatures only live off of acros? is that known for sure...i am learning from this thread so maybe we can get it on the educational track as jermery suggested.

Just to avoid copyright issues ;) , these pictures are NOT MINE. I reposted them from someone else's thread on reef central

EDITED by me
how about a good layout in quarantine process, technics, setups etc.

Last edited:
Acros

From readings on the RC SPS Keepers Forum, it seems that they are indeed peculiar to acros solely. Not sure why though?

clamm said:
Does anyone understand why these creatures only live off of acros? is that known for sure...i am learning from this thread so maybe we can get it on the educational track as jermery suggested.

delta said:
how about a good layout in quarantine process, technics, setups etc.

This is an excellent idea. Can we start a new thread with the a good quarantine process and have Moe add it to the "useful threads" thread? Reading these types of discussions makes me extremely paranoid and scared to get my tank up and running.

I could really use some help on how to do a proper quarantine setup.

Thanks!
Melody~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back